WE WERE BORN TO ILLUMINATE THE STREETS OF SANTIAGO WITH GAS
José Tomás Urmeneta and Maximiliano Errazuriz award the public lighting council of the city of Santiago. The gas service came in September 17, 1857. Illuminating the Municipal Theater of Santiago at its Night Inagural.
FOR MORE THAN 150 YEARS WE TRANSFORMED OURSELVES IN ONE OF THE FIRST CORPORATIONS OF CHILE
The gas lighting company is transformed into a limited company under the name Compañía de Gas de Santiago, which in 1887 is renamed Compañía de Consumidores de Gas de Santiago.
WE REINVENT OURSELVES: FROM GAS FOR LIGHTING TO NEW USES IN INDUSTRY AND HOME
With the arrival of electricity to the country, the gas lighting was replaced by electric light. The gas begins to be used as domestic and industrial fuel, making use of the same network of pipes. The company promotes the development of this new market through the import and promotion of gas appliances.
WE STARTED OUR LISTING ON THE SANTIAGO STOCK EXCHANGE, AN INSTITUTION WHERE WE HAVE REMAINED ININTERRUPTED UNTIL TODAY
In the midst of the growth and development of our new business, the company began to trade on the Santiago Stock Exchange, remaining in that institution in an uninterrupted way for more than 125 years.
WE EXPAND OUR CAPACITY TO RESPOND TO THE INCREASE IN GAS CONSUMPTION IN SANTIAGO
Gas consumption in Santiago registered an increase of around 65%, which is why the Board of Directors of the time-composed of Blas Vial as Chairman and Anibal Herquiñigo as vice president-decided to build a new gasometer at the San Miguel factory, which was completed in 1898 and allowed to store twice the amount of gas.
WE REMODEL OUR HEADQUARTERS IN ORDER TO CONTINUE GROWING
In the midst of this growth scenario, the company carried out various renovations and extensions. Between 1901 and 1903 the building of the Central Office, located in Santo Domingo No. 61, was remodeled.
WE CONSOLIDATE OUR GROWTH WITH THE OPENING OF THE SAN BORJA FACTORY
In 1910 the San Borja Factory came into operation, responding to the increase in gas consumption. Despite the competition from electricity, gas consumption showed a sustained increase due to the Urban expansion of Santiago and its introduction in industrial consumption.
WE PUT AN END TO THE PUBLIC LIGHTING SERVICE IN SANTIAGO: WE WENT FROM BEING A LIGHTING COMPANY TO A GAS PRODUCTION COMPANY FOR NEW USES
– The company put an end to its public lighting service in Santiago, which symbolized the end of the transition of the Compañía de Consumidores de Gas de Santiago from a lighting company to a gas producing company for domestic and industrial uses.
– The continuous growth of gas consumption forced the company to expand its productive capacity. In this context, the decision was made to carry out a complete modernization of the San Borja Factory through the construction of a second section to close the San Miguel Factory, which was completed on June 18, 1927.
– The number of shareholders of the company doubled and for the first time the main shareholders were not individuals: Banco Español de Chile, Banco Anglo-Sudamericano and Compañía Minera Industrial de Chile all joined the list.
WE ACQUIRE NEW LAND TO EXPAND OUR FACILITIES
The company invested in land for the future expansion of its facilities. In 1933 it acquired a plot of land on Rosas Street, which formed a single block with the property located in Santo Domingo-where the Gasco Central Business Office now operates-and, in 1935, purchased a 54,000 m2 plot located on Antonio Varas Street.
WE INCORPORATED A NEW GAS PRODUCTION PLANT INTO THE SAN BORJA FACTORY
The sustained increase in gas consumption forces the company to increase its production capacity at the San Borja factory through a coke gas production plant. At the same time, the expansion of the distribution network was made in response to the growth of the city of Santiago.
WE PERFORM OUR FIRST INCURSIONS IN LIQUEFIED GAS
The appearance of liquefied gas in balloons, as an alternative energy for the sectors of the city that did not have access to the distribution network, caused the company to decide to migrate part of its production to the liquefied gas.
WE DISTRIBUTE LIQUEFIED GAS IN SANTIAGO AND CREATE NEW COMPANIES
The company starts the distribution of liquefied gas in Santiago and creates new companies: Comercial Gasco Ltda, Soquina and Indugas
WE OPEN OUR FIRST PACKAGING AND LIQUEFIED GAS DISTRIBUTION PLANT
The Maipú Plant is inaugurated, the company’s first liquefied gas packaging and distribution plant.
WE RECOVER THE CONTROL OF THE COMPANY: WE RECOVERED 54.6% OF THE ACTIONS ACQUIRED BY CORFO IN 1972
The Corporación de Fomento de la Producción (CORFO) sells 54.6% of the shares of the company that had acquired in 1972 to the Compañía General de Electricidad S.A. (CGE)
WE EXPAND OUR BUSINESS: WE START THE DISTRIBUTION OF NATURAL GAS AND LIQUEFIED GAS IN THE MAGALLANES REGION
The company is awarded the distribution of natural gas in Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales and Porvenir in the Magallanes Region, in a public tender called by Enap. Additionally, it starts the distribution of liquefied gas in the region.
WE DEVELOP NEW TECHNOLOGIES TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE CARE OF THE ENVIRONMENT
We start the collection and use of landfill biogas, for the manufacture of city gas.
WE ACQUIRE STRATEGIC PROPERTIES: WE BUY THE CRUZ DE PIEDRA ESTATE IN ALTO MAIPO
Faced with the positive economic situation experienced by the company between 1983 and 1986, the Chairman of the time Pablo Pérez, decided to make various investments and acquisitions, including the Cruz de Piedra estate in Alto Maipo, strategic property for the future site of the GasAndes pipeline that would connect a transport network between the central zone of Chile and Argentina.
-We also acquired 40.88% of the shares of Cemento Polpaico S.A and 40.77% of Electro Industrial Inversiones S.A.
WE EXPANDED THROUGHOUT CHILE: WE STARTED THE DISTRIBUTION OF GAS IN THE SOUTHERN AREA OF THE COUNTRY
The company is awarded in public tender for the assets of the Compañía de Gas de Concepción and begins the distribution of liquefied gas between the BioBío and Los Lagos Regions.
WE PERFORM HISTORICAL INVESTMENTS TO IMPORT LIQUEFIED GAS AND WE INTERNATIONALIZE OURSELVES
-Constitutes Gasmar S.A. company that builds and operates a modern maritime terminal in the bay of Quintero, for the loading, unloading and storage of liquefiable gases, in addition to their purchase, revenue to wholesalers and transport.
-In Argentina, Gascart S.A. through which it acquires 90% of Gasnor S.A. natural gas distributor in the northeast region of the country.
WE CONTRIBUTE TO THE DIVERSIFICATION OF THE NATIONAL ENERGY MATRIX THROUGH THE DISTRIBUTION OF NATURAL GAS
Constitutes Metrogas S.A. to distribute natural gas in the Metropolitan Region. In 1996, as a capital contribution, it transfers its productive assets linked to the manufacture and distribution of city gas, remaining with a 40% stake.
WE CARRY LIQUEFIED GAS TO MORE REGIONS OF CHILE AND SUPPLY WITH NATURAL GAS TO THE REGION OF BIOBÍO
-The company acquires an additional 1% stake in Metrogas S.A. thus completing 41% of the ownership.
-To expand the distribution of liquefied gas to other regions, creates Gasco Norte S.A. and Gasco Sur S.A., which initially operated between the Regions of Coquimbo, Valparaiso and rural Metropolitana, and of Libertador General Bernardo O’Higgins and Los Lagos, respectively.
-The Pacific Gas Pipeline (GP) is launched to transport natural gas from the Neuquén basin in Argentina to the BioBío Region. The company participates with 20% in GP, 30% in Innergy Holdings S.A., distributor of natural gas to industrial customers, and with 70% of Gas Sur S.A., natural gas distributor for residential and commercial customers of said region.
WE INCREASE OUR COMMITMENT FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF NATURAL GAS IN THE COUNTRY
– The company changes its company name to Gasco S.A., an acronym that was already used as a brand and fantasy name with ample positioning in the market.
– Buy 10.84% additional stake in Metrogas S.A. reaching 51.84% of the ownership with which it acquires the status of subsidiary.
WE BET FOR NEW BUSINESSES: WE PROMOTE THE USE OF LIQUEFIED GAS AS A VEHICLE FUEL
– The company signs a strategic alliance with the Dutch company AG Autogas Systems for the conversion of vehicles to liquefied gas.
– Gasco Norte S.A. begins to operate in the Atacama Region.
THE SOUTHERNMOST CITY OF THE WORLD BEGINS TO ENJOY OUR SERVICE
-Gasco Magallanes begins the distribution of liquefied gas in Puerto Williams, the southernmost city in the world.
-Metrogas S.A. begins the distribution of natural gas in the O’Higgins Region, expanding its geographical coverage.
WE ADD A NEW PARTNER TO GROW IN IMPORTATION AND WHOLESALE OF LIQUEFIED GAS REVENUES
The company sells 24% of the shares of its Subsidiary Gasmar S.A. to Abastible S.A., maintaining 51% of ownership in said company.
WE REORGANIZED OURSELVES TO DELIVER A BETTER SERVICE TO OUR CUSTOMERS
– The liquefied gas business is reorganized, incorporating Gasco LPG S.A. (Former Gasco Sur S.A.) to the Gasco Santiago business unit and to the Gasco Norte S.A. subsidiary.
– The company constitutes Gazel S.A. (Autogasco S.A.) dedicated to the commercialization of vehicular natural gas, with 50% ownership.
WE INVEST TO ENSURE THE SUPPLY OF NATURAL GAS IN THE COUNTRY
– The LNG Quintero consortium-formed by BG Group, Metrogas, Enap and Endesa-starts the construction of the Liquefied Natural Gas Regasification Terminal in the Quintero bay, diversifying the sources of natural gas supply. Metrogas participates with 33.33% in LNG Chile S.A. and 20% in LNG Quintero S.A.
– Acquires 20% of Campanario Generación S.A. thermoelectric power station located in the Region of BioBío.
WE EXTEND OUR COVERAGE TO THE REGIONS OF ANTOFAGASTA AND AYSÉN
Gasco LPG S.A. extends its geographical coverage to the Regions of Antofagasta and Aysén.
WE START THE OPERATION OF THE QUINTERO LNG TERMINAL AND OFFER GAS PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO THE REGION OF MAGALLANES
– The commercial operation of the Terminal de Gas Natural Licuado de Quintero begins, marking a milestone in the diversification of the international energy matrix.
– Gas Sur S.A. begins the generation of electric power in Concepción with the entry into operation of the Newen Generación thermoelectric power plant.
– The company increases its ownership in Gasducto del Pacifico S.A. from 20% to 30% and from 20% to 26.7% in Gasoducto del Pacífico Argentina S.A.
– Through Transporte e Inversiones Magallanes S.A. (Movigas), in which it participates with 85% of the ownership, the company is awarded the public tender for the subsidy for public passenger transport in Punta Arenas.
WE BET FOR THE COLOMBIAN LIQUEFIED GAS DISTRIBUTION MARKET
– It enters the distribution of liquid gas in Colombia, acquiring 70% of Inversiones LPG S.A.S. E.S.P.
– Acquires 50% of Autogasco S.A., reaching 100% of the ownership of this company, dedicated to the distribution of vehicular gas in Chile.
– The company sells its 40.88% equity stake in Cemento Polpaico S.A.
WE DEEPEN OUR PRESENCE IN THE COLOMBIAN MARKET AND WE ARRIVE TO THE REGION OF TARAPACÁ
– Inversiones LPG S.A.S E.S.P acquires 70% of Unigas Colombia S.A. E.S.P. and the linked files of the companies, Portagas and Durán, in Colombia.
– The company sells its shareholding in the company Inversiones El Rauli S.A.
– Purchase 30% of Gas Sur S.A., reaching 100% of the company’s ownership.
– Gasco LPG S.A. expands its geographical coverage to the Tarapacá Region.
THE DISTRIBUTION OF LIQUEFIED GAS IN COLOMBIA ACQUIRES HIGHER LIMELIGHT
Inversiones LPG S.A.S E.S.P acquires the assets for the liquefied gas distribution of Intergas Corona, on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. In addition, it specifies the acquisition of 33% of Montagas S.A. E.S.P., in the area of Nariño.
WE INVEST TO EXPAND THE SUPPLY OF LIQUEFIED GAS IN THE SOUTHERN AREA OF THE COUNTRY
Gasmar S.A. constitutes the company Hualpén Gas S.A., in which it participates with 50% of the ownership, to operate the terminal of supply and unloading of liquefied gas of San Vicente, Region of BioBío.
WE INCREASE OUR COMMITMENT TO NATURAL GAS IN THE REGION OF BIOBÍO
– Gasmar Natural Fenosa enters the property of CGE; remaining as controller of the company and its subsidiaries.
– Gasco S.A. acquires additional 30% stakes in Innergy Holdings S.A. Gasoducto del Pacífico S.A. and Gasoducto del Pacífico Argentina, which become subsidiaries of the company.
DIVISION OF THE BUSINESS OF LIQUEFIED GAS AND NATURAL GAS
– Gasco S.A. acquires 12.75% of Gasmar S.A. reaching 63.75% of the ownership.
– Gas Natural Fenosa Chile SpA and the Grupo Pérez Cruz, both main shareholders of the company, agree to split it into two companies; one that includes the companies of the natural gas business (Gas Natural Chile SA) and another, of liquefied gas plus the Gasco Magallanes business unit, which has the name of Gasco S.A.
KEY DEFINITIONS FOR THE FUTURE DEVELOPMENT OF THE COMPANY
– The Grupo Pérez Cruz launches a public offering for the OPA by Gasco S.A., at the same time as Gas Naural Fenosa Chile does for the shares of Gas Natural Chile S.A. In August, both OPAs are declared successful; the Grupo Pérez Cruz acquires 71.91% of Gasco S.A. with which increases its direct control to 94.13%
– Gasco S.A. constitutes Innovación Energía S.A. in equal parts with Energía Latina S.A., with the objective of developing and exploiting energy projects.
– Transportes e Inversiones Magallanes S.A. (Movigas) announces that it will leave the largest transportation concession in Punta Arenas in January 2017.
– Automotive Gas Systems S.A. is dissolved.
WE START THE WAY TO CONSOLIDATE US AS A LEADING COMPANY OF GAS ENERGY SOLUTIONS
– The company constitutes Terminal Gas Caldera S.A. associated in equal parts in Energía Latina S.A. to develop and operate a maritime port terminal in Caldera for loading, receiving, unloading, storage and packaging of liquefied gas.
– Inversiones LPG S.A.S.E.S.P acquires 30% of Unigas Colombia S.A. E.S.P., reaching 100% of its ownership.
– At the Extraordinary Shareholders’ Meeting, on April 26, the modification of the Gasco S.A. name was approved to Empresas Gasco S.A. and the updating of the corporate purpose, modernizing it and adapting it to current and planned activities for the future.
– Innovación Energía S.A. celebrates an EPC contract for the installation of a gas-fired electric generator in Teno, Maule Region, with an installed capacity of 43 MW based on liquefied gas.
WE TAKE THE TOTAL CONTROL OF VIDAGAS; WE WANT TO CONTINUE GROWING AND DIVERSIFYING IN COLOMBIA
During the first semester of 2018 Empresas Gasco S.A. materialized the purchase of 30% of Inversiones LPG S.A.S. E.S.P (Vidagas), with 100% ownership of this company.